Sign up for a WebBoard account Sign Up Keyword Search Search Calendar Calendar More Options... Options
Help Help News News Log in to WebBoard Log in Not Logged in
Show tree view Topic
Start a new topic New Topic
Go to previous topicPrev TopicGo to next topicNext Topic
Author Message
Becca Martin

Becca Martin

Total Messages 39

Subject:Council Minutes 05/09/11

Council Meeting Agenda May 9th, 2011

 

I.             Call To Order

The regular meeting of the Associated Students of Grays Harbor College was called to order at 2:33 PM on May 9th 2011 in the Room 1512 by Greg Taylor.

 

II.           Roll Call

Present:

Greg Taylor, President

Becca Martn, Vice President of Communications & Records

David Quinton, Vice President of Finance

Mohammad Ikram Khan, Senator of Advocacy & Outreach

VACANT, Senator of Advocacy & Outreach

Andrew Bolton, Senator of Legislative Affairs

Cassi Foster, Senator Clubs & Organizations

Kameron Covall, Senator of Promotions

Jayme Rudloff, Senator of Community & Academic Affairs

Cal Erwin-Svoboda, Advisor

 

Absent:

 

Gallery:

 

III.         Approval of Agenda

Andrew motioned to approve the agenda as written

Becca 2nd

Motion passes: 7-0-0

 

IV.         Approval of Minutes

David motioned to table the minutes until next week

Kameron 2nd

Motion passes: 7-0-0

 

V.           Statements From The Gallery

 

VI.         Executive Reports

 

President (Greg Taylor)

Weekly Report

Sorry for the late addition of this post, but it was probably the busiest week we have had yet. Andrew, Kelly, Kameron with a K, and myself attended the Student Voice Academy this weekend. Though I think we all had some disappointment with the outcome and some of the processes, it was an enlightening experience. Some good things happened... some strange things happened...  and we will tell you all about some of the things we learned at the meeting tomorrow.

 

A few very key points that we discovered (some are rather glaringly obvious):

1)    Apparently people don't really care if they have representation on state boards anymore...

 

2)    The process this year was apparently not explained very well, as several of the issues that made it to the white paper are not really legislative issues.

 

3)    The students have less representation in Olympia than we thought. Some of us had long, detailed conversations with a few other college presidents (specifically Bellevue, Clover Park, Shoreline, Whatcom, and South Puget Sound... I think I named them right...) about a possible solution to this problem. We are collectively going to be doing some research in the upcoming weeks to see if a viable solution is possible.

 

4)    Bellevue college is interested in hosting a "Student Leadership Day" at their college, or possibly at Clover Park (everybody really liked the facilities) sometime in late July or early August. This would be a STUDENT run day (or 2) of networking and learning. The plan at this point would be: no advisors (unless necessary to drive vehicles), no SBCTC, and invites would be outgoing and incoming student leadership, specifically student governments. The reason to make this a bit more specific than events in the past is to keep costs down.

 

Will, from Bellevue, was going to try and get a date, a general plan, and possibly some lodging arrangements to us ASAP. It is important to note, this is not going to be a day of games, as a matter of fact it was specifically discussed (and unanimously agreed) that nobody involved in the planning of this wants to play games. This would be a time of open discussion, sharing experiences and knowledge, making plans to tackle issues at hand, and true networking. Many people agreed that these are all things that have been lacking from past events. The general schedule for the event would be relatively open-ended. If the group feels it's time could best be spent exchanging experiences and knowledge, than that will be the focus. If the group would rather solely network and exchange information, than we focus on that. If the group just wants to learn procedures, practices, and methods for doing various functions, we will do that. I think it is important to note this would not be a day "led" by advisors or officials.

 

Many people at Student Voice expressed concern that at some prior events students were being "herded" and "guided in thought" by SBCTC reps and advisors. Frankly, the SBCTC and advisors will still get their chance, at CUSP, but it is not what this event is supposed to be about.

 

5)    Bellevue College will be sending over some new procedures that they developed and starting utilizing this year that they seem rather pleased with. They think some of them may benefit us and make our processes more efficient and increase our level of communication with our students.

 

Overall it was an interesting weekend and we accomplished a lot. Sadly, we did not have time to work on Bylaws, but that is the main project in the following week.

As nobody showed up to help with Mayhem planning (except Ashley), we will now be assigning some duties out to people this week to ensure we get the event done. None of the duties will be particularly difficult or involved, but we must spread out the burden some to ensure we can get it done.

 

Have a great weekend and see you all tomorrow!

 

Announcements

In regards to Student Voice, a lot of schools feel SPCTC is not representing us students as well and they should or they are counter-representing what we feel. Some of the schools are looking into setting up a committee and we may get an email from Bellevue College trying to get it set for next year.

Bellevue College is also sending David new software for finance tracking and more information on what they are doing. They say it makes it so much quicker and easier then what we have.

 

Presidents Cabinet

N/A

 

Board of Trustees

N/A

 

Budget Committee

Over for year

 

Bylaws Committee

Try to have for review by this weekend as we should be voting next meeting.

 

Election Committee

 Meeting time to be determined. Please, Everyone get out and let the students know about elections. Greg is sending the campus wide email to Nancy to get it forwarded to students.

 

Vice-President of Communication & Records (Becca Martin)

Weekly Report

This week has been a very busy week. Every day this week has been spent on the computer typing for one thing or another.

The CCC meeting was Tuesday and though not all of the clubs were there, the ones that were listed off everything they had planned for the month. Minutes for the CCC Meeting were posted.

ASGHC Minutes were sent to Greg to be posted as there is still an issue with my posting on the boards.

This weekend was High School State Finals in Power lifting, and thought Aberdeen only had 3 lifters, all 3 posted in the top 3 for their weight classes. My Son taking 2nd place in the Men's Unlimited. Many State records were tied or beaten this weekend, and it was an awesome time.

Looking forward to shopping with Cal for the USO Dance on Wednesday and then getting everything finalized for the dance Saturday.

The quarter is on the downhill slide and with Mayhem and Elections, it should go very quickly.

 

Announcements

      Report online.

Library Advising Committee

      N/A

 

Club Coordinating Council

      Had the CCC meeting and Minutes are posted online for it. Would like to see more clubs attending. Had quite a few but not all of them were represented.

 

Faculty Excellence

 Will get together with Andrew and Jayme to see if there is anything needed.

 

Vice-President of Finance (David Quinton)

Weekly Report

I attended the Leadercast on Friday and had a great time with fellow students and community members expanding our knowledge about leadership.  Happy mother’s day everybody!

David Quinton

VP of Finance

 

Announcements

      Report online

 

Budget Committee

      Awaiting feedback on Budgets for Clubs.

 

Technology Fee Committee

                         N/A

 

VII.       Senator Reports

 

Senator of Advocacy & Outreach 1 (Mohammad Ikram Khan)

Announcements

      Sorry for missing last week due to 3 tests and a horrible week.

      Fireside issue: Flyers Draft has been given to Cal for review. Kameron will step in and help Ikram. Meeting time to be determined to discuss how to handle this. Should there be a hearing of what changes are going to be then in the Fall have the changes make to the Fireside room.

 

Tenure Committee

N/A

 

Elections Committee

      N/A

 

Academic  Review Committee

      N/A

 

Senator of Advocacy & Outreach 2 (VACANT)

 Announcements

Club Coordinating Committee

Diversity Committee

Tenure Committee

 

Senator of Community & Academic Affairs (Jayme Rudloff)

Announcements

 

GHAB

N/A

 

Advising Committee

      N/A

 

Faculty Excellence Committee

        Voting is underway. Have received 25 forms online. Flyers are up and there are voting boxes in the Counseling Center and in the Student Activities Lounge. The one in Student Activities keeps getting moved around and it needs to be kept in one location.

     

Tenure Committee

      N/A

 

Senator of Legislative Affairs (Andrew Bolton)

Announcements

      Andrew apologized for not getting weekly report in due to attending Student Voice Academy this weekend. He, Greg, and Kameron discussed the weekend for 35 minutes:

      The Student Voice Academy this last weekend was far and away the best leadership they’ve attended. Everyone is encouraged to attend next year.

      There were a couple things that were frustrating:

Moderator who did not moderate which handicapped quite a few by arbitrarily reading the topic flyers and making judgments.

                  No agenda for the weekend.

                  No Roster of attendees for networking.

                  Not a lot of adherence to the guidelines for the presentations.

      They did however receive a nice padfolio and 2 flyers about the weekend and last year’s White Pages. It was quite powerful, effective, and encouraging. 5 topics made it to the White Page after voting. Ours missed by 1 vote. Unfortunately 2 or 3 of the topics were non-legislative, 1 or 2 others were largely resolved or far enough along that when Legislation looks at the, they will wonder if we were paying attention to what was happening. Kameron really stood up for the process and spoke out on issues that were festering during the weekend. We brought a PowerPoint presentation, a tri-fold display, Pamphlets, and buttons that brought in a lot of compliments. 2 of the 3 topics that made the White Page are: Securing Funding for degrees to AA—K-12 becomes K-AA; and Sexual orientation on all applications for college.

 

Speakers Committee

      N/A

 

Legislative Committee

      Haven’t heard back from Representatives yet.

 

Elections Committee

      Facility Use forms done for 24th and 25th.

      Andrew motions that we hold elections the 24th and 25th from 8:30am-2:00pm

      Becca 2nd

      Motion Passes: 7-0-0

 

Tenure Committee

            N/A

 

Senator of Clubs & Organizations (Cassi Foster)

Announcements

      Thank you from bringing on to the Council.

      Will do orientation this week.

 

Budget Committee

      N/A

 

Club Coordinating Council

      Attended the PTK meeting with Greg this week.

 

Tenure Committee

                        N/A

 

Senator of Promotions (Kameron Covall)

Announcements

      Attended Student Voice Academy, it was an amazing, incredible, learning experience. Kameron is stepping down from the Elections Committee as he will be running for Senator of Legislative Affairs. Will have application in this week.

 

Awards & Recognitions Committee

      Will make contact with Arlene to see who is on the committee.

 

Diversity Committee

                        Received an email from Jen Barber. Will be available next week the 25th.

 

VIII.     Advisor Report (Cal Erwin-Svoboda)

Reminded that minutes need to be posted on time. Becca stated that there is an issue with how minutes post under her account and was told to speak with Rick the IT about it.

Need to get the media flyers and blitz for elections.

 



Document050911(1).docx
050911

Posted: 19 May 2011 11:15 AM
Originally Posted: 14 May 2011 01:31 PM
Left Button SpacerSend user an email email|View user's profile profileRight Button Spacer
Left Button SpacerReply to this message replyRight Button Spacer
 
Becca Martin

Becca Martin

Total Messages 39

Subject:Council Minutes 05/09/11

IX.        Unfinished Business

A.    Elections Preparations

1.    Quarter Sheets

Greg and Kameron will work on tomorrow starting at 10am.

 

2.    Inserts

Greg and Kameron will work on tomorrow starting at 10am.

 

3.    Website Graphic

Greg and Kameron will work on tomorrow starting at 10am.

 

4.    Facility Use Forms

Approved

 

5.    Booth Schedule

Next week

 

6.    Button Distribution

Need for next week

 

7.    Set Election Committee Meeting Time

Andrew, Greg, Becca, and Cassie will meet 11am. Andrew cannot be there, and will be filled in later on what was discussed.

 

B.    Position Descriptions – Did anybody find any changes needed? Please Review.

 

C.    By-Laws – Due to scheduling conflicts (and Mid-terms) we will be working on this during the following week.

 

D.    Student Voice –Review the Event.

      See above individual reports.

 

E.    Mayhem Committee –Assign the following duties (volunteers preferred). No one showed for meeting.

      1. Ordering Food—David volunteered.

      2. Arranging Entertainment (Ashley?)

      3. Check on Safety issues—Taken care of with Tony.

      4. Contact Clubs to determine their contributions—Cassi volunteered.

      5. Order ice-cream and toppings for Wednesday—Kameron volunteered.

      6. Plan Minute-to-Win-It Activities for Wednesday—Ikram handling.

      7. Arrange prizes for Minute-to-Win-It—Greg will talk to GHAB.

      8. Games/Enterainment for Thrusday—

      9. Movie Night Screen & Sound—Moved to Thursday Night. No one is returning phone calls, will know by Wednesday if we will be able to do. If so: Toy Story 3 will be playing.

      10. Anything else—David asked if Sumo Suits were considered “blow up toys”. Greg said no, and David asked if we could have those for Mayhem.

 

X.          New Business

A.    PTK Intervention Issue

We discussed the issue with PTK being out of compliance with their bylaws and how the Elections were postponed for one week and the changes requested for this election. 

 

XI.        Announcements

 

XII.      Executive Session

Executive Session under RCW 42.30.110 an executive session may be held for the purpose of receiving or evaluating complaints against or reviewing the performance of a public employee: consultation with legal counsel regarding agency enforcement actions, or actual or potential agency litigations: considering the sale or acquisition of real estate: and/or reviewing professional negotiations.

 

XIII.    Adjournment

Kameron moved that we adjourn at 3:45pm

Andrew 2nd

Motion Passes: 6-0-0


Posted: 19 May 2011 11:10 AM
Left Button SpacerSend user an email email|View user's profile profileRight Button Spacer
Left Button SpacerReply to this message replyRight Button Spacer
 
Becca Martin

Becca Martin

Total Messages 39

Subject:Council Minutes 05/09/11

I still cannot attach or edit. As soon as I can the minutes will be attached unless Greg wants to attach them, then I will email to him.


Posted: 19 May 2011 11:10 AM
Left Button SpacerSend user an email email|View user's profile profileRight Button Spacer
Left Button SpacerReply to this message replyRight Button Spacer
 
 
Start a new topic New Topic
Go to previous topicPrev TopicGo to next topicNext Topic

 
go

Log In Options


Powered by WebBoard Powered by WebBoard 8
©2005 Akiva Corporation
Licensed for Free Non-Commercial Use